Friday, October 22, 2010

Snickerdoodle Basket Weaving!


Well, I'm happy to report that since the first class of beginner basket weaving filled so fast at the LYS, that they scheduled a new one. My mom and I were both able to get into the class. We went last night, and the class ran over and hour just so everyone could be sure to go home with a completed basket. Jill, our instructor, was real sweet to stay so long and be so patient with all the new weavers.

I learned so much, and my thumbs are still sore from pulling and tucking and weaving all those reeds. I had so much fun though, that I spent hours today researching where to get a good deal on more basket weaving supplies. My research paid off, and I'll be calling and placing my order tomorrow. Oct 30, I'll try to get together with my mother and make another basket.

My plan is to make one or two more of these neat little baskets, and then try my hand at a larger basket to put by a changing table to hold diapers and baby clothes in easy reach. Anyway, that is the plan. I'll see how I do. It took four hours with an instructor at our elbow to make this basket. I'm hoping it doesn't take too much longer than that to make another basket.

My beautiful creation was made with a moss green reed, while my mother used a pretty purple reed. I can't wait to try to make another.


2 comments:

  1. It looks so great!! I'm so impressed with your first basket!! I want to try to make one with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love the basket! :D My aunt does basket weaving, and I think it's safe to say that it's one of those things that gets faster as you practice more often. My aunt was able to whip one out that was the size of a small trash can in about a couple of hours! I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks it's as fun as it looks, because I've been itching to try it for a while, myself!

    ReplyDelete