Thursday, May 13, 2010

No homework. Catching up on crafts

Well since there is no homework this week. I've been trying to catchup on my crafts.

The first thing I finished was the shawl I was making my mom for Mother's day. It came out really pretty. I'm pretty sure I'll do this pattern again. Tunisian crochet was a change of pace and pretty fun. Though not as fast (for me anyway) as regular crochet, it is still faster for me than knitting.


Here is a close up of both front and back sides. This is before blocking.


I do love knitting even though I'm sort of slow at it. I am working on squares for a Lapghan. I have a Piecework magazine that has a Barbara Walker square that I want to try. That meant I needed to finish the last Barbara Walker square I was working on. The square is called Pavilion, and is from the 2nd Treasury of Knitting Patterns. I still have to bind off, but then the square is done and I can move on to the square in my Piecework Magazine.


For my third excursion this week, I was determined to finish a tiny tatted motif which for one reason or another has been daunting me for weeks. Every time I sat down to work on it, I would invariably do something wrong and have to untat, and then my time was up and I'd be off doing something else. I was determined to finish, and finish I did!
I'm working on 25 tatted motifs for the year. I was ahead early on, and slacked off. Now after this daunting little celtic cross from Tatting Collage by Lindsay, I'm behind 2 motifs. Have to hurry hurry. Don't get me wrong, the patterns in Tatting Collage all look easy, it was just the universe conspiring against me for this little piece.


And after finishing my tatted piece, I really wanted to work on some fun crochet. I just received a book called Creating Crochet Fabric, by Dora Ohrenstein. There are some fun looking fabrics in there. A few caught my eye. I think I would like to make some drapes or at least a valance out of some of her fun fabrics. But the piece that I sat down and thought would give me quick crochet satisfaction was a photo she labeled "Traditional Lacework Motifs." I searched the book front to back, and discovered she did not have the pattern. So I decided I would try to work out the pattern on my own. I ran into some troubles on the last round. I kept having to do single crochet around one spot everytime I ran across it. I think I must have covered that area about 3 times with 6sc. Oh well. It is a first attempt and it was late at night. I'll think of something else for the final row next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment